Sunday, April 6, 2014

Tokyo-Ginza/Roponggi

My last full day here was spent cleaning up loose ends (getting my ticket for the train to the airport tomorrow), and doing some shopping.  And eating of course.

Started off my day by going to Tokyo station to get my ticket to the airport.  Once that was done, I walked to Ginza to do some shopping.  Damn those stores are obscene.  Made my way to a Singapore restaurant where I had some fantastic Xiao long bao (dumplings filled with different soups) and noodles with DanDan broth (nice and spicy).  After lunch I found what I was looking for.  A new knife.

Then I started people watching.  They closed one of the major roads in Ginza, and open it up as a pedestrian mall.  Everyone and their dog was out! And I mean that literally.





This man stood there with his dog while his wife shopped.  The baby carriage is for the dog.


I loved this young woman.  She was strutting down the street, but still kept her mask on.




And the SHOES that these women wear!













This lady just rocking the purple hair!





I love how he matches his dog!


Once I had enough of people watching, I took the subway to Roppongi Hills to look around.  On my way to the subway, I saw this.  A McLaren!!!
Roppongi Hills is a master planned, multi-use community.  If you've been to Uptown Dallas, that's what it reminded me of. Lots of shopping, cafes (some chains, lots of little independents) a fewvery upscale restaurants (like Atelier de Joel Roubechon), the Grand Hyatt (not the Lost in Translation one, that's the Park Hyatt), and condos/apartments.  They also had a nice little park.  Of course there were Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)


That's it for my last day in Japan.  That night, I went back to Roppongi, but to the older area.  I ate at a fantastic restaurant that I have no idea of the name.  I just walked in since it was pretty crowded and lively.  Had sashimi, a tempura shrimp dumpling, and some sushi.  And a lot of sake.  I was the only non-Japanese person there, and I ordered by pointing.  FANTASTIC.

Now I'm at Narita Airport in the United Lounge waiting for my flight (another perk of Business Class). I'm ready to go home.  I miss my dogs and cats, and believe it or not, really miss work.

I'll post one more post about this trip in a few days, once I've decompressed.  But I can say that this was one of the best things I've done in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment